Cub Kitchen is a cooking blog where Bjorn R-G makes some of his favorite recipes, so easy he can do them in his Bear Skn underwear. Bjorn is not a professional chef, but he enjoys cooking and can get pretty creative in the kitchen. Join Bjorn each week for a fun new recipe.
Out of season Peppermint Bark
- Cutting board.
- 2 microwavable bowls.
- Small spatula.
- Cookie sheet.
- Zip lock freezer bag.
- Parchment paper.
- ¼ tsp. size measuring spoon.
- 1 lb. white chocolate chips.
- 1 lb. semi-sweet chocolate chips.
- 2x ¼ tsp. Mint extract (total of ½ tsp. mint extract)
- Box of candy canes.
Prep time: 5 minutes.
Chill time: 30-60 minutes. Then 3 hours.
- Measure out 1 lb. semi-sweet dark chocolate chips into microwavable bowl (about one and a half standard choc chip bags) into medium size microwave safe bowl. Microwave chips for 30 seconds, stir, 30 more seconds, stir, then 15 seconds, stir, repeat until chocolate is smooth. *Do not over heat if you cook too long without stirring it will get clumpy and dried out. Stir in first ¼ tsp. of mint extract. Stir well with spatula to fully incorporate mint extract in chocolate.
- Line Cookie sheet with parchment paper and pour mint chocolate mixture. Spread evenly on paper so it is about ¼ inch thick. Chill in refrigerator for 45-60 minutes. Until chocolate has hardened.
- Unwrap all candy canes and place in zip lock freezer bag. Put cutting board underneath bag and hit with a hammer until all candy canes have been broken up into small pieces. Take out about ¼ of it and set it aside.
- After dark chocolate has hardened. In the second medium microwavable bowl weigh out 1 lb. of white chocolate chips. Microwave chips for 30 seconds, stir with spatula, 30 more seconds, stir, 15, stir, repeat until white chocolate is smooth. *Do not over cook, if you cook it too long it will get dried out in spots and be lumpy. Add second ¼ tsp. mint extract to and candy cane bits to white chocolate. Stir with spatula until fully incorporated, cane bits, mint and chocolate.
- Pour white chocolate over dark chocolate in pan. Use spatula to spread it out into about ¼ inch layer on top of dark chocolate. Take the remaining ¼ candy cane bits and sprinkle on the top. Chill in refrigerator for 3 hours or overnight.
- Flip over and break up into small bark shaped chunks and try not to make too much of a mess then enjoy!